Optional Field Visit: Outokumpu Tornio Plant - The most integrated stainless steel plant in the world
Outokumpu' s site in Tornio is the most integrated stainless steel mill in the world: the same production site includes melt shop, hot rolling mill, cold rolling mill and even ferrochrome smelter as the source of one of the essential raw materials, chromium. The most significant raw materials is recycled steel, and the recycled content in the ready-made products is in average more than 80%. The production site has its own harbor from which products are delivered to the markets and raw materials delivered to the site.
Tornio site covers more than 600 hectares and employs some 1500 stainless steel professionals. In addition, some 300 people employed by subcontractors and business partners work daily in the production site.
Outokumpu also operates a harbor at the Tornio site: Port of Tornio is an integral part of logistics allowing Outokumpu to deliver products to the European markets and raw materials to the Tornio site.
Kemi mine, the only chromite mine in the EU area, is part of the Outokumpu Tornio operations and located close to the Tornio plant. The mine guarantees access to the most important raw material of stainless steel, chromium that makes steel stainless, for long in the future.
The field trip is availabe to any registered delegates for just €650.
Places on this trip are limited and on a first come first pay basis. The final date for application is 7th September.
Provisional Itinerary - Monday 17th September 2018
- 07.00 Meet in lobby of Scandic Paasi Hotel
- 07.15 Depart for Helsinki Airport
- 08.45 Flight departure from Helsinki
- 10.15 Flight lands at Kemi Airport, Tornio
- 10.45 Bus departs Kemi airport
- 11.15 Arrival at Outokumpu Tornio Site
- 11.30 General Presentation & Lunch
- 13.15 Mill Tour
- 15.45 Bus depart for Kemi Airport
- 17.15 Flight departs for Helsinki
- 18.45 Flight lands at Helsinki Airport
- 19.15 Bus depart for Scandic Paasi Hotel
- 19.45 Arrival at the Scandic Paasi Hotel